Friday, March 4, 2011

sculpture on the edge (and me too!)...

I've just been back over to Bermagui - to Sculpture on the Edge - and installed my quirky small ephemeral piece on the headland and had a quick looksee around the place....





noice eh?

(names and details to follow - as soon as I can get my hands on a catalogue!)


its a hive of activity on the headland - 
as Yuri and Chris prepare their works for this evening 
(it's opening night celebrations don't you know... and these boys are preparing for 'fire' works...) 



Yuri is making a large clay work piece that will be fired in-situ (which will no doubt be fascinating to witness) - I've just left him mad at work, building the base (wire, rocks, covered in clay/charcoal mix) Behind him are a few of the volunteers that are helping to assemble the work (more should be arriving right now as I'm typing...) These folk are building sausage-like structures from hessian...

.... which are filled with charcoal lumps.
hmmmm curiouser and curiouser......

Yuri is actually aiming to build something resembling a GIANT koala scat created from local clay....


Yuri is a passionate koala-survey creature - and knows MOUNTAINS about our local koala populations... interestingly we've just been comparing notes over the past week - his focus is the Mumbulla koalas - and of course I'm interested in the creatures next to me in the Kooraban...
 
I was tickled all sorts of colours this morning when he whipped out a container of koala scats he's collected in the Mumbulla forests..... you really need to smell this as I'm sure you won't believe me when I tell you it's lovely! (it's just like sweetened eucalyptus)


further down the hill - Chris is creating something else....

 its only in the early stages of construction right now 
but just wait until dark ......
 

Chris shares my passion for fiery things.... and even shared with me his 'super-secret-special recipe' for getting things seriously fired up....

 

(nope, I'm not telling what's in the mix - but let's just say - mythbusters would approve! hee hee hee)


oh and of course as well as headland things - there's the small sculpture show in the hall to peruse....

 mmmm boats.....

mmmmm feathers!



mmmmmm 
now I must get my presentation for sunday under control
thinking all things ephemeral...


sneaky shot of part of my piece up on the headland.....
I've already had my first visitor/admirer... 
I think that's a good sign


.....





4 comments:

  1. your first visitor/admirer is a VERY good sign! For sure is bearing all good vibes and wishes for good luck and success!
    Here are mine too: best of luck with all shows and all projects!!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a tempter. How I wish I could be there to see all the 'goings off'. Have a wonderful evening, it should be a blast! What is that amazing double winged creature - definitely a good omen. Keep taking those photos, and remember to breathe now and then. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it was a great night Ronnie and that all things explosive behaved beautifully. Looking forward to seeing more images as you get to them. Lots of intriguing 'sneak peaks' in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great and your sneaky part-view if VERY enticing. Many, many years ago (about 15!) I organised a group artwork where visitors at Woodford Folk Festival (then held at Maleny) worked together to construct a clay dragon which was fired on the spot on the last night. In the end I wasn't well enough to participate and my co-workers carried it off magnificently without me. It was the direction I wanted to take my practice, but I quickly realized it was totally unrealistic, and I had to move on...ah well!
    I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for all your lovely comments - your words are greatly appreciated xx