Saturday, March 26, 2011

the hill...

I ventured into Bega yesterday .... 
the highway was still closed at 'kisses lagoon' - but the town was open for business as usual...

I stayed to catch the opening of 'The Hill' at the Bega Valley Regional Gallery.....



'The Hill' showed the outcome of four local artist's short residency in Broken Hill.... and each artist trying new arty territory....

attending the exhibition opening was a nice way to finish off a pretty wet and worrying week in the Bega Valley.... and arty lovers were out in force

I only had my itty-bitty camera with me... and my batteries decided to call it a day after 2 pics... so this is all I can share....

 Poppy Benton 'rainbow avenue' series - steel sculpture



foreground - Poppy Benton 'capra hircus' - bronze, steel, stone, glass 
background - Lorna Crane 'flow' - series 5 scrolls and 'river road' video



You'll notice that I didn't take any pics of flood damaged parts of town.... I just can't do that .... it is so sad to see households with all their goods piled up in garbage bags... or the old ambulance station - as I drove past I saw paramedics doing a valiant job of cleaning up their station - what a mess!  Power poles are all higgilty -piggilty, huge trees are dumped in the middle of sporting fields...  the most distressing site for me was 'Pearce's flat' - the river flat paddock of a farming family on way to Bega.... the whole paddock has had the topsoil stripped off - a giant slash through the land.... I have heard of other farmers who have lost fences, machinery, roads, and worst of all - their soil and some of their animals....

I feel for them

...


4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great exhibition despite the trials and tribulations in Bega at present. It is all too sad to see the number of people whose lives have been shattered by all these disasters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sad to see the lives and incomes of people tossed higgilty piggilty like the power poles. I feel for them, too.

    The exhibition looks marvellous, so good you were able to see it and give us a glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry about the wrecked landscape, i know i would have had a hard time documenting the disastrous mess. i'm always amazed by photojournalists' courage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the photos of the damage - I didn't take any here, it seemed wrong!
    Love those buildings tho' (the sculptures I mean).

    ReplyDelete

thanks for all your lovely comments - your words are greatly appreciated xx