Thursday, August 20, 2009

in and out of the studio...

...and setting fire to things again....


I've just 'fired' up my final books tower for this fire season...


This time around I not only took my usual static digi shots but also had a high definition video capture the action - I'm planning on creating an installation that includes the video projected with the remains of the burnt books somehow included.... stay tuned (ps just viewed the raw video for the first time this morning - ooooooo so exciting! it looks FANTASTIC)



The fire sessions are a real family affair - I need FP to cart all the gear around on the back of the farm ute and drive the steel rod into the ground and light the fire and keep it going (and put it out when we're done....) ahhhhh he loves art....

Sass and EJ help to stack the tower and give appreciative comments (the best help!) - Brimmer (the BIG farm dog) isn't in this shot - but he made a regular appearance throughout the video (thanks Bimmy-Boy, a BIG help). Also out of shot is my dear ole dad - who not only was manning the video (whilst I took care of the digi camera) - he is also the RFS Bega Valley Group North Captain... so he had the official fire vehicle alongside - and as the area is currently beset with fire problems, he was in contact with fire command letting them know what was going on (the radio conversation was something to behold... 'the fire will be a tower of books'.... 'yes you heard right - it's a tower of about 50 encyclopaedias'.... 'apparently it's an artwork.... yes A.R.T.W.O.R.K'...) at this stage I think embarassment was overcoming him.... ahhhh what you do for family...



its so dry and unnaturally warm right now - it was an effort and a risk to light this tower - notice that I situated it beside one of the fast shrinking dams... just as an added precaution (the grass is so dry - we had to watch for spot fires...)




just over an hour later the fire began to slowly go out... we gave it some assistance with water - and headed home (just over the hill) for tea. Another day (night) of arty goodness for all the family....

4 comments:

  1. Jeepers, Ronnie! You're braver than I am, even with the RFS standing by. Mind you, your chaps are probably better than some I know who used to park the truck on the hose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave is right and a good thing your Dad is in charge of the RFS. But what a magnificent blaze that tower made! Will we see the video?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes the weather conditions in the preceding days was not great for fires (or rather it was VERY GOOD for fires - to burn everything in their path, not so great for a controlled burn) so I postponed the tower burn again and again and again... this w.e. is the final days of the fire season - from here on in a permit is required (and no doubt will be difficult to procure - no matter if you have family connections!)

    I've started to edit the raw video footage - and I'm rather excited about the possibilities... I'm not sure where it will all lead yet - but rest assured I'll no doubt tell the world when I have something interesting!

    oh and a final p.s - I promise NOT to make a burning tower out of the book art object project pieces....

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and I'd meant to add a 'thank you' for all your kind words of support

    ReplyDelete

thanks for all your lovely comments - your words are greatly appreciated xx