Friday, September 27, 2013

a new art paradigm (revisited)...


 

and threw out into the world my arty manifesto

(of sorts)

and as I'm putting the finishing touches on my MFA works

I found myself revisiting my words and thoughts of 

what art can be

what art should be

what I want art to be

(aka - a new art paradigm)
 
...

I want Art that snubs its nose at post-bloody-modernism and bling-bling art stars; 
I want Art that circumvents the corporatisation of culture and cult of personality;  
I want Art where value is determined by what the art gives rather than what it makes at auction;  
I want Art that engages community and is egalitarian in spirit and execution; 
I want Art that respects and values fine crafting (where appropriate) without falling into the trap of nostalgic connoisseurism; 
I want Art that understands that you don't need to be a Western, white, city boy to make stuff worth paying attention to; 
and

I want Art that is of and for and from an extended connection to country.....  





(THIS is where my arty head and heart are)


...



4 comments:

  1. Oh yes to all of the above, especially this one: "I want Art that understands that you don't need to be a Western, white, city boy to make stuff worth paying attention to". Amen! The same goes for writers and writing - the books that dominate as 'serious' literary works and that get the most attention in the form of serious book reviews on respected publications and news sites are, typically, by white men. It's something I've been actively fighting against. So I love your art manifesto.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for all your lovely comments - your words are greatly appreciated xx